Today is National Strawberry Shortcake Day, which is an excellent excuse for us to spend a few hours flipping through food porn to find the most interesting recipes. It is peak strawberry season, and we love this all-American classic because there are so many tasty variations out there — from gluten-free shortcake to ice cream sandwiches
Gluten Free and Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients For the biscuits
3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon coconut milk, divided
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
1 cup white sorghum flour, plus more for dusting
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons virgin coconut oil, cool enough to be solid but malleable
For the strawberries 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced or chopped
1 tablespoon maple syrup, or more to taste
2 teaspoons lemon juice
For the cream
1 1/2 cups (or one 13 1/2-ounce can) full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1 teaspoon maple syrup, or more to taste (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. To make the biscuits, combine 3/4 cup coconut milk with the maple syrup and vanilla. Add the ground chia seeds and mix with a fork to make a slurry. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, baking powder, and salt. Add the coconut oil and mix with a fork until pea-size clumps form. Stir the coconut milk slurry and add it to the bowl. Mix with a fork until just combined. Gently knead the dough a few times around the bowl until it forms a loose ball.
3. Transfer the dough to a surface lightly dusted with sorghum flour. Pat the dough to 3/4-inch thick and cut into 8 (2 1/2-inch) rounds. Place the biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the remaining tablespoon of coconut milk. Bake until the biscuits are just golden, about 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Best served warm or at the very least on the same day.
4. While the biscuits are baking and cooling, prepare the strawberries and cream. Toss the strawberries with the maple syrup and lemon juice, and let macerate for at least 10 minutes before serving.
5. To make the cream, remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and move it carefully to avoid agitating the contents. Scoop off the cream that has solidified at the top and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer, or a bowl if using a hand mixer. (Save the coconut water at the bottom for smoothies or other dishes.) Beat the coconut cream until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla and maple syrup, if using. (Can refrigerate up to 3 days and re-whip before serving.)
6. To serve, place a biscuit on a plate, pile with berries and cream, top with another biscuit, and add another dollop of cream.
Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwich Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
4 cups of vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven at 350°F. Using a 9 X 11 baking sheet cover with parchment paper. Melt your butter and reserve
2. In a mixing bowl of electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar until white and fluffy (5-8min). Add vanilla
3. Stir in flour into eggs mixture, little by little and folding gently between addition (this step in important to take the time so that your egg mixture stays fluffy). Fold in melted butter slowly
4. Spread batter on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 min. Let cool. Once cooled, put in freezer for 20-30 minutes 5. Let the ice cream thaw just enough so you can mix in the berries In a big bowl mix the chopped strawberries into the ice cream and stir making sure all the little pieces are well incorporated in your ice cream. Return to freezer
5. Take your cooled genoise and with a 4 inch round cookie cutter, cut out 8 circles Take out ice cream and with regular ice cream scoop, scoop in the ice on 4 cut out of the genoise. Top it with the other genoise. Put back in freezer until ready to serve
Strawberry Shortcake Popsicle Ingredients
1 1/2 cup pureed strawberries
1/2 cup crushed vanilla Oreos
2 cups vanilla yogurt
1. Puree strawberries. Place Oreos in a food processor and pulse until cookies become fine crumbs. Alternatively, place Oreos in a Ziploc and using a rolling pin to crush cookies. Add crushed Oreos to the yogurt and mix until combined.
2. To assemble as the seen in the picture, layer the yogurt portion first and let freeze for 30 minutes before adding the strawberry layer, let this second layer freeze for 30 minutes and then add the last yogurt layer. For a quick assembly, pour each layer on top of one another without any freeze time in between and then use a skewer or fork and gently swirl for a swirled Popsicle look.
Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie Ingredients
3 cups frozen strawberries (about 12 ounces)
1 1/2 cups plain, unsweetened almond milk (store bought or unflavored homemade)
3 Medjool dates, pitted (see notes)
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon vegetable-based protein powder, such as pea or hemp (optional)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon maca powder (optional, see notes)
1. Combine berries, almond milk, dates, flax seed, protein powder, vanilla, and maca powder in blender and blend on high speed until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
2. Divide between two glasses and serve cold. Smoothie can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days. Reblend or shake well before serving.
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Ingredients
1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
2/3 cup sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
3/4 cup half-and-half cream
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon coarse sugar
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
3/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
10 fresh strawberries or grated chocolate, optional
Grated chocolate, optional
1. Combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar; refrigerate if desired. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter and 2/3 cup chips until crumbly. Add half-and-half and stir until just moistened.
2. Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
3. Bake at 450°F for 13 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
4. To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with about two-thirds of the strawberries, whipped cream and fudge topping. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries, cream and topping. Garnish with chocolate if desired.