You probably know of different advertisements about anti-aging products. But what do you truly understand about the “amazing” anti-aging supplements? Here are some facts for you to know:
- Phytochemicals are antioxidants that guard body cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Phytochemicals is not a need but they protect cells. There are over 1,000 types of phytochemicals found in soy, tomatoes, vegetables and fruits. Scientists believe that tea has two types of phytochemicals that can help in the healing process. Phytochemicals found in flavonols, tea and catechins are truly beneficial.
- Green tea can aid in the prevention of coronary artery disease. It has polyphenolic antioxidants, which can prevent heart diseases.
- Known as CLA, conjugated linoleic acid is a supplement that can lower cholesterol and help fight cancer. On the other hand, plant seed oils are rich in gamma linolenic acid (GLA). This can help people with arthritis. Animal studies show that GLA can aid in the relief joint inflammation pains.
- Veterinarians recommend glucosamine to dogs in the alleviation of symptoms of arthritis and other joint problems.
- Alpha-lipoic acid protects body cells from free-radical damage. It is also used to treat nerve damage in diabetic individuals. Alpha-lipoic acid can be found in different foods, including spinach.
- The usual amount of a product found in supplements cannot be practically acquired in food. A lot supplements are standardized to 50 milligrams per tablet. Such is an amount you cannot get in food.
- The coenzyme Q10 can be found in fish, and in the hearts and kidneys of animals. It is also produced by our body cells. It helps produce adenosine triphosphate, or ATP which is the fuel that helps power the mitochondria. There is still no evidence that coenzyme Q10 can thwart cancer, but it is being researched on as a treatment for prostate and breast cancers.
- Red yeast rice supplements can lower cholesterol. In fact, the Chinese have been using red yeast rice as a medication for many years.
- Methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM, is found naturally in the body, in spinach, lettuce and other green vegetables. Many claim that it can relieve pain.
- Also known as phytic acid, IP6 can help you fight against cancer. Rich sources of natural IP6 include legumes and cereal grains.
- Prebotics and probiotic supplements encourage the growth of the good bacteria in your intestines. Yogurt is one natural source of probiotics.
- Shark cartilage is said to help cure cancer, but one study of the supplement says that shark cartilage did not help in fighting the advanced stages of prostate, colon and breast cancer.
- Cayenne pepper supplements may alleviate pain. Capsaicin is the substance that puts the hot in cayenne. It relieves pain by lowering the levels of a compound in the body that sends pain signals to the brain.
- Although a lot of individuals take Echinacea supplements to cure their colds or other maladies, scientists are concerned that long-term use of Echinacea might cause damage to the body’s immune system.
- Phosphatidylcholine or lecithin fights memory loss. Phosphatidylcholine is vital for the acetylcholine production. Supplements containing phosphytidycholine may stimulate the acetylcholine production.